But the question is how. How exactly do we do it? How do we start pursuing the better life that we want?
The way I see it is, there’s a common misconception that pursuing a better life requires some grand overhaul of everything that we do.
I happen to think that it doesn’t.
My belief is that a better life starts with the little things. It starts with small and simple mindset and lifestyle changes. Nothing more.
That’s why I’ve compiled a list of 30 little things you can start doing today to start living a better life. Each is unique. Each is effective in its own way.
My hope is that you will take one or two items from this list and find a way to implement them into your own life. My guarantee is that the world will open up to you in ways you never expected.
Let’s take a look.
- Put your phone on airplane mode for the entire day. Better yet, just turn the thing off. Get your head up. Look around you. The world around you is beautiful. Enjoy the view.
- Do something that you’re not comfortable doing. Talk to a stranger. Do hot yoga. Swim with sharks. It doesn’t really matter. Just do something that makes you a little bit uncomfortable.
- Go for a really long walk. Or a short one. Doesn’t matter. Either one will help you clear your mind, shed fat more effectively, actively recover from a tough workout, and relieve stress.
- Read a fiction novel. It will open your imagination to new worlds and possibilities. It will take your mind away from everything. And it will also help you sleep better at night. I recently finished the Stieg Larsson’s Millenium trilogy. Highly recommended.
- Solve a Sudoku puzzle. There’s no better way to sharpen the mind than by solving a couple of Sudoku puzzles. You can find hundreds here.
- Change your routine. Even if it’s just for a single day. If you usually wake up later, try waking up early. If you typically go for a walk, stay in for the day. Change some part of your routine and see what happens.
- Drink your coffee black. Because if it’s not black it’s not coffee. Stop putting crap in it. To help prove my point, watch this amazing commercial from Nabob. It will change your view of coffee forever.
- Do nothing for 2 minutes. Seriously. Put everything down and do nothing. For 2 minutes. Just sit there and do nothing. Let your mind wander.
- Try adventure roulette. Go to the airport or train station. Purchase a ticket for the next flight or train ride that’s available. Doesn’t matter where it is. And explore a place you’ve never planned for. Check out the details of adventure roulette on ImpossibleHQ.
- Start an Incredible List. You need some badass goals to work towards as they will guide you to a better life. Feel free to check out my Incredible List for ideas.
- Watch an international movie (get subtitles). Hollywood is overrated at times. Try an international flick instead. It will open your mind to new and exciting stories. My girlfriend introduced me to La Haine. Highly recommended international flick.
- Disconnect from the Internet for 72 hours. No computers. No smartphones. No tablets. No Internet. Disconnect for 3 days and see what happens.
- Keep a training journal. Even if it’s just for one week. The data you collect from these journal entries will be essential in helping you put together better workouts down the road.
- Keep a nutrition journal. Minimum of 3 days. Write down every single thing that you put inside your body. A week later, take a look at it. You’ll find some low-hanging fruit to improve on. No pun intended.
- Eliminate bread and pasta from your diet for two weeks. No bread. No pasta. Two weeks. Simple. This is one of the most effective strategies for quickly improving the way you look and feel.
- Fast for 16 hours. No food or drink (except for water) allowed for 16 hours. Have your last meal at 8pm then don’t have anything to eat or drink until noon the next day. Fasting helps regulate hormones and promote fat loss. If you’ve got the cajonas, try fasting for 24 hours.
- Call an old friend. Your relationship may have slipped, but all it takes is one call to get the ball rolling. Just pick up the phone. Don’t think about what you’re going to say. Go from the gut.
- Email five of your closest friends and ask them what your weakest quality is. Ask them to be as brutally honest as possible. And don’t take the responses personally. Instead, figure out how to improve in those areas. I can’t remember where I first came across this idea, but it’s a great self-improvement strategy.
- Use a foam roller. Can’t say enough about the foam roller. Even 5 minutes of use will make you feel like a million bucks.
- Do something nice for the person behind you. While you’re getting your black coffee, get one for the person behind you as well. It’s the easiest way to make someone else’s day a little bit better.
- Try making a raw food dessert. Instead of your regular desserts, try some delicious raw food recipes. They’re simple to make. They require no baking. They contain no artificial ingredients. They’re packed with nutrients. And they’re absolutely delicious. Find some killer recipes here.
- Don’t spend a single dollar for 5 days straight. This can be tough. But it’s important to disconnect from the consumer mindset whenever possible. If five days is too much, try three.
- Try a heavy jump rope. There’s nothing better than watching somebody try a heavy jump rope for the first time. It’s a workout that can’t be comprehended until it is tried. It’s powerful. It’s efficient. It works. Get your heavy ropes here.
- Start a conversation with a stranger. Forget what your mom said. Approach someone you’ve never seen before. It can be at the mall. On the street. Or at the coffee shop. Say hello. Get a conversation started.
- Wake up earlier. Want to get more done? Wake up an hour or two earlier each morning and use that ime to tackle your most pressing projects. Do it for a week. See how it makes a difference in your life.
- Have a spoon of coconut oil. It’s the most powerful food on the planet. Even a spoonful each day can have tremendous benefits in the way you look and feel. This is a must.
- Drink a tall glass of water in the morning. And squeeze some lemon in it. Do this first thing in the morning. Every morning. Best way to start a day is to hydrate the body.
- Take 10 deep breaths. If you’re stressed, stop what you’re doing and take 10 deep breaths in and out. You’ll feel better. I promise.
- Learn to eliminate. When packing for your next vacation or road trip, eliminate half of the things from your bag. Learn to be selecive. Efficient. Learn to be minimal.
- Watch an interesting TED talk. These short and powerful videos will open your mind to new ideas from thought leaders from across the globe. Check out some of the most popular videos here.
There you have it.
30 simple things you can do to start living a better life today.
Now here’s where you take over…
Leave a comment below telling me which one item from the list you’re going to implement into your life this week. Don’t be shy. I’m looking forward to seeing your selections.