The 21 Day Burpee Challenge
Take a deep breath.
You can almost smell it, can’t you?
A new season is upon us. As the sun crosses the celestial equator going northward, it rises exactly due east and sets exactly due west.
Fascinating, I know. But it’s what gives us equal amounts of day and night. Can’t complain about more sunshine, can you?
Anywho, while you’ve been enjoying the increasing daylight, warming temperatures, and the disappearance of snow, things have been brewing in the Bloom to Fit laboratories.
A new challenge is upon us, my young grasshoppers. And I hope you’ve got the cajonas to join us once again.
Let’s jump right to the details.
The 21 Day Burpee Challenge
Important Note: the 21 Day Burpee Challenge is now under way and closed to new particpants. You may still participate in the challenge on your own by following the details outlined in this post, but access to the private Facebook group and tracking system is unavailable until the next challenge. If you’d like to be notified of all our upcoming challenges, please sign up to our free newsletter by clicking the yellow “Get Notified” button below.
Welcome to the second Bloom to Fit challenge of 2014.
The 21 Day Burpee Challenge will begin on Tuesday April 1st, 2014 and will run all the way through April 21, 2014.
Your objective over the course of those 21 days will be to complete a total of 1,000 burpees.
If you’re thinking “man, that’s a lot of burpees!”, think about it this way… 1,000 repetitions comes out to roughly 50 burpees per day for 21 days straight or really just 5 sets of 10 burpees a day.
Not too bad when you break it down.
And here’s the good part…
You don’t have to do your burpees every single day. All that’s required is that, by the time those 21 days are over, you have 1,000 burpees under your belt. You can split them up any way you want. You can go hard one day. Take another day off. Spread them out evenly throughout. Or start off slow and build up your volume over the course of the challenge.
The choice is yours.
What’s the best way to do this?
To get you going, here are some “simple” approaches you can take:
- Use a daily rep approach: split your 1,000 burpees into equal daily reps and find a few minutes throughout the day to do them. This can be in the morning when you wake up, right before dinner (great for getting your metabolic furnaces going), or really whenever you please. You can do them all at once or split them up into small chunks to do throughout the day.
- Use a on-the-spot approach: also known as the grease-the-groove approach (in kettlebell speak), allocate an area in your house/workplace/gym where you are to do your burpees. Every time you pass by through this area, do a set number of burpees. For example, you can set up a small “burpee area” in your living room. Every time you walk through the living room, do 10 burpees. If you were to walk through your living room five times over the course of the day, you’d have your daily reps complete. Easy.
- Go a few days on, a few days off: break your week up into four days of training (84 burpees a day) and three days of rest. Or feel free to play around with other combinations like 5 days on, 2 days off or 2 on 2 off, etc.
- Incorporate your burpees into your current workouts: simply sprinkle a few burpees throughout your workout. You can do a set of 10 burpees during your “rest” periods between exercises or use burpees as a killer finisher workout.
It doesn’t matter what approach you take as long as you complete 1,000 burpees in 21 days!
Here are some more important details:
- Every repetition must be done with flawless execution (more details on proper technique inside);
- Make sure you are properly warmed up before you do your reps (check out the perfect warm-up series for ideas);
- Make sure you stretch often, particularly after your burpees (here are some static stretching examples);
- You’ll be required to keep track of your repetitions over the course of the challenge (more details will be provided when you join);
- Listen to your body at all times.
Why the Burpee?
Because burpees are badass, that’s why.
The burpee is an intense, highly functional, full-body movement that can help you build strength, improve cardiovascular fitness, and burn fat better than a George Foreman grill on a hot Sunday afternoon.
In just one swift bodyweight movement, you are strengthening nearly every muscle group in your body (chest, arms, shoulders, back, quads, hamstrings, glutes, core) while building impeccable mental resilience. Every repetition will be a fight.
No part of you is immune, my friend.
The burpee is also an incredible conditioning exercise, which is why it is so commonly used by athletes, elite military units, and even CrossFit practitioners.
It is a very intense, yet very functional exercise. As you fight to get up from a push-up to an explosive squat jump every single repetition, your entire body will be crying for mercy. Every movement will require your limbs to work together to propel you up high and bring you back down quickly. This is how the body is designed to work and why the burpee is considered to be so effective.
What if I’ve never done a burpee?
Not a problem.
When you join the challenge, you’ll receive some very useful resources that will teach you how to do a proper burpee in no time.
And if you’re not at a stage where you feel you could do high volume burpees, no problem. I got you covered too. I’ll show you how to do some simpler variations that will provide you with just enough punch until you’re ready to progress to the real deal.
As you can see, this challenge is for everyone.
Now it’s time for you to make the call…
How to Join the Challenge
If you think you’ve got what it takes to get through 1,000 burpees in 21 days, here’s how you can join the challenge:
Step 1: Leave a Comment
It’s important that you introduce yourself. Scroll down to the bottom of this post and leave a comment introducing yourself and letting everyone know that you’re taking part in the burpee challenge. Do that first, then come back to step 2.
Step 2: Share the Challenge
Let’s use this positive energy and momentum to get others to join us in this challenge. Let’s try to get as many people doing burpees as possible. Help spread the word about this challenge by doing the following:
Step 3: Add Yourself to the Challenge
This is the last and most important step of the process. You need to officially add yourself to the burpee challenge. Click on the big “Join the Challenge” button below and sign up!
That’s it! Please make sure you don’t skip any steps because you might end up missing some of the important challenge details that I’ll be sending out!
What you’ll find Inside
Once you sign up, you’ll be sent an email with some important challenge details.
You’ll get access to a private Facebook group which you can use to keep yourself (and each other) accountable. It will also be a place to ask questions, share stories, offer motivation, and get feedback.
You’ll also get access to a simple burpee tracker that you’ll be required to use to keep tabs on your repetitions over the course of the challenge. It will serve as a great accountability tool as well.
More details on this stuff will be provided when you join.
I hope you’re as excited as I am to get this challenge rolling.
Remember the first day of the challenge is April 1, 2014 (sorry, not an April fool’s joke) so make sure that you sign up before that date and take care of all the details that are sent your way.
In the meantime, use the next week to get yourself ready both mentally and physically. Plan out how you want to approach your reps over the course of the 21 days. Put it on paper. You will probably deviate from this plan to some degree, but it’s good to have an idea of how you’re going to attack this challenge before it starts.
I also recommend that you do a few low volume sets of burpees to get your body ready for the challenge. Work on your form. See which variation suits you best.
Finally, do me a favor and help me spread the word about this challenge. Share this post with your friends and family. Let’s get as many people involved as we can.
Let’s make magic happen!